Monday, September 24, 2012

Friday Night Out

After a long busy week of work and the drama that goes with it, we decided it would be a good night to go out for dinner, just the two of us.  We hadn’t eaten Greek food for awhile so I used my trusty Around Me app on my phone and found My Big Fat Greek Restaurant in Olathe, Kansas.  We arrived at 5:45 and there was no wait.  The décor is nicely done and more upscale than any other Greek restaurant I’ve visited in town. 
Braden was our server and he did a great job.  For our appetizer we ordered the dolmades appetizer.  He brought them to our table when he came back to take our food order and they were piping hot and delicious.  Maybe the best dolmades I’ve ever eaten and I’ve eaten a lot since they are one of my favorite Mediterranean foods.  Paul ordered the lamb chops, medium rare, and opted for the Greek salad instead of the normal sides of rice and steamed vegetables.  I ordered the chicken breast pita with Greek salad.
Our salads came just as we were finishing our dolmades.  They were quite large and probably would be a meal in themselves if you ate the whole thing.  I only nibbled it and saved room for my entrée which came out very quickly too. 
Paul’s lamb chops were very nicely displayed on the plate.  On the downside, they weren’t cut to equal thickness and none were really thick enough.  The thinner ones were done all the way through.  He did say the flavor was very good.
My chicken pita was huge.  The pita bread was fresh, warm and delicious, filled with a grilled chicken breast that had been sliced.  It was delicious and something I will definitely want to order again.  I was only able to eat about a third of it and got a to-go box for the rest along with my salad.
We looked at the dessert menu and I wanted the vanilla custard with vanilla ice cream topped with caramel.  Paul refused to spend $7 for that and instead ordered the baklava for $5.  I don’t eat baklava because it usually has walnuts and I’m allergic to them.  After he got his two-person serving that Braden confirmed had some walnuts in it along with the pistachios, he told me I could order my own dessert.  I asked if he was going to have them bring me a separate ticket for the $7 dessert.  Since I was already full from my dinner, I didn’t get a dessert.  Paul’s must have been excellent because he ate the whole thing!
Just as we were getting ready to leave, loud music started playing.  Four of the servers and the manager got up and did a dance around the entire dining area (I think it’s called The Grapevine?)  The song got faster and faster, and at the end two young men came out and finished off the dance around the room.  They were fantastic and everyone clapped and cheered.  What a fun end to our meal!
Afterwards we went to the Bass Pro Shop, on the opposite side of I-35 highway.  I found a great puzzle for Heather, my daughter, and I to work on.  She is a puzzle aficionado and can finish the most complicated puzzles faster than anyone I’ve ever seen.   She is also the only person I know who can lick her elbow.  Yes it’s true.  I’m trying to talk her into letting me record it so we can put it on YouTube and she can pay for college with her unique skill.  So far she is refusing my kind offer as videographer. 
I enjoy looking all over at Bass Pro Shop.  They have great outdoor equipment for any hunting or fishing sport you might enjoy.  They also have a section with children's toys, kitchen and household items. 
We spent some time upstairs at the gun counter with a great sales assistant named Gary.  He showed me several high quality handguns that would work well for concealed carry.  Paul and I are going to take the class to get our concealed carry licenses (it’s less if two people take it together).  The world is getting to be a more dangerous place and while I don't know if I will ever actually carry a concealed weapon, I like to have that option. 
I grew up on a ranch and everyone in my family hunted and shot trap so I've handled guns my entire life.  My daddy, grandfather, aunt and uncle were all in law enforcement.  I realize there is a big debate about whether people should be able to have guns or not.  Everyone is entitlted to their own opinion and they can follow their own belief. 
I liked four different hand guns that I wrote down and will try to shoot at the Bullet Hole where you can rent guns to fire at their range.  Though I have to admit, when I saw the price of my favorite gun, it costs the same amount as the fancy new bed I want from Nebraska Furniture Mart!

I must add before I finish this post, that Heather finished off my Greek food leftovers just as soon as I got home.  She thought it was great too.

No comments:

Post a Comment