Monday, September 24, 2012

Saturday Goodbye Party for Jonathan

My best friend Kim’s husband is going into the Navy for boot camp any day now.  Their neighbors held a goodbye party for him Saturday evening and invited us to join them. 

I made another batch of my coleslaw and Heather and Paul helped me make frosted brownie bites (bite size brownies).  Cowboy Paul went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and got a mini muffin pan for us and Heather mixed up the batter and used the small ice cream scoop to fill the tin.  We baked for 20 minutes (will do 15 minutes next time) and took them out to cool.  The directions on the muffin tin said not to use nonstick spray or oil on the pan so we didn’t.  We had to pull the brownies loose by going around the edges with a toothpick and popping them out.  After they were thoroughly cooled, we frosted them with Duncan Hines sour cream frosting (I made sure to sample a spoonful first to make sure it was fit to eat).  While I frosted the brownies, Paul grated Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate and we sprinkled that on top. 
These turned out delicious and were so easy to make.  The only thing we will change next time is to cook less time.  Paul thought they were too done.  I thought they were just right but wouldn’t mind them being gooier.  I don’t necessarily trust his taste though.  He hates the skin on top of homemade pudding!  How can you trust someone who doesn't like the pudding skin?
The party went great and we stayed several hours until the temperature dropped into the 50’s.  We were outside on their deck and it got too cold for us.  Especially since Heather’s allergies were flared up.  Seems the cardboard dust off the jig saw puzzle she was doing stirred them up and had her sneezing.  Who knew puzzles could be a hazard to your health?!
I'm already getting sad that Kim will relocate after Jonathan is out of basic training.  I will miss her lots and plan to visit when they get settled.  Jonathan is going to let me have his horse for free lease while they are gone and since I love riding Alpo, I am thrilled!  He isn't much to look at but this horse flat covers trails like nobody's business!  He never does anything wrong, no buck, kick, bite or rear.  Can't wait to get him.

No comments:

Post a Comment